jueves, 6 de septiembre de 2012

Way Back Wednesday: Replying to 1997


If you’re in the US, then I hoped you enjoyed this past Labor Day weekend, as nearly everyone is back in school after the summer break. If you’re currently working, then the long weekend was most definitely appreciated. I ended up going to the beach with a few friends and whenever we get together, the topic of old school K-pop is always brought up. This time, the main topic of discussion revolved around the hit Korean drama ‘Reply 1997’ starring ‘Superstar K‘ season 1 winner Seo In Guk and A Pink member Jung Eunji (had no idea who she was before and now I’m a fan). The drama is a love story that takes place in 1997 and prominently features the music of the time; the height of the original idol generation. As you can imagine, old heads like my friends and me love it. The characters in the drama are just about the same age as us and while it’s weird that we’re considered old enough to have a drama about our high school years, it’s also fun to look back at the idol-mania of the fans of that era.
Because this is my new favorite drama, this week’s Way Back Wednesday is going to travel back to 1997. We’ll take a look at the songs from 1997 that you all know and love and others that might have flown under the radar.

Disclaimer: Before everyone goes crazy telling me how much I suck, let me mention that there will be some obvious songs (like H.O.T’s “Candy”) that aren’t included because they’ve already been profiled in this column in the past. I know that they are hugely important songs but I try not to repeat groups or songs that were already covered so sometimes I have to leave popular groups/songs off. Feel free to continue and leave comments about your favorites or other songs I might have missed.

Alright, who am I kidding? I take back what I said earlier. How can you have a list of songs from 1997 and not include H.O.T, Jinusean, DJ DOC, Yoo Seung Jun, etc… I mean, you HAVE to and the whole impetus for this column was the drama ‘Reply 1997‘ in which the main character is a humongous H.O.T fan so, I give in. I won’t go into much detail but here they are for your viewing pleasure.

H.O.T – Candy
 
 H.O.T. - Candy (live, 1996) 
Cr:
http://www.allkpop.com
 Posted by: Club H.O.T PR :D

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario